Promote and encourage the teaching of the Italian culture, language, and the culture of Italy, in Wisconsin’s primary and secondary schools, as well as in its post secondary colleges and universities. Educate the general public about the Italian culture and language.
- The specific objectives of the organization are to:
- Coordinate the development and implementation of Italian language classes in Wisconsin’s public and private schools.
- Develop and coordinate Italian language and culture classes for children and adults.
- Notify qualified teachers of employment opportunities in schools or private classes.
- Acquire and distribute fiscal, educational and other resources to new and existing Italian language classes and teachers.
- Preserve the heritage of Italian-Americans, and to promote positive relationships with educational and cultural groups in Italy and the USA.
WisItalia is a non-profit, 501 (c) 3 voluntary organization, created in December 2000, to promote the teaching of Italian language classes in the elementary and secondary schools in Wisconsin.
WisItalia was founded by the Italian-American Clubs in Milwaukee, Madison, Racine, Kenosha, Green Bay and Wausau, as well as UW-Madison and UW-Milwaukee.
Since then, other Wisconsin colleges and universities have become active in WisItalia, promoting the Italian Culture.
To-date, WisItalia has been successful in either creating new Italian programs, or promoting and supporting existing Italian programs in Wisconsin. This continues to grow and provides a valuable service to teachers, students and the community.